Thursday, June 25, 2009

Lymphonodular Hyperplasia...

...or LNH is what Gavin has been diagnosed with. I was told by Dr. Alberty that it isn't serious, it's a benign condition, and is seen in children with chronic infections (which Gavin has NOT had) and is seen in kids with chronic diahrrea (which he DOES have.) I couldn't find much about it on the internet, except it is seen primarily in children with food allergies. Dr. Alberty did mention this to me, but he shrugged it off as though he didn't believe that is why Gavin had it. He suspects it is from an infectious process and has prescribe him Alinia (since Flagyl didn't help.) He also took biopsies of the colon, duodenum, esophogus, and stomach to send off for testing to rule out other problems as well. We follow up in 3 weeks. In the meantime here is a picture of what LNH looks like. (Be warned it's kind of gross.)

*note: This is NOT a picture of Gavin's colon, but rather one I pulled from the internet. I do have a picture of Gavin's colon and what it looks like, but my scanner is being wonky and the moment and won't let me upload the pictures. Gavin's case isn't this bad, but it's close.*

3 comments:

Cami & Co said...

I am so glad you finally have an answer. I hope that nothing else is found in the biopsies.
That colon is nasty looking. Yikes!

Hilary said...

Poor Gavin hopefully the new medicine will help him!!

Amy, queen of the world. said...

I'm so glad everything's okay!