Thursday, January 21, 2010

Tubes *Update*

The surgery went well. Gavin didn't cry a single tear when they took him from me. The nurse told him they were going to see the balloons. Afterwards was another story. He cried for a solid hour! I rocked him in recovery, but he was just unhappy. So, after about 20 or 30 minutes they let us go and he cried almost the whole way home. He wanted to go to Mr. Gatti's, but he didn't want to go at the same time. Finally, he agreed to eat at home and go to Mr. Gatti's tomorrow. Then he ate a little bit of yogurt and fell asleep. He was very clingy. Kami and Luke went to Jena with MiMi, so I could take care of Gavin. He seems to be doing better. He's not his usual self, but he's finally eating, and watching Wow Wow Wubbzy. The doctor said the surgery went extremely well. He had *alot* of fluid built up in his ears and they got it all out and put the tubes in. He has to be on ear drops for three days and go back in a week!

*Original Post*
After going to the doctor on Monday (it was supposed to be a nurse visit only, for the second dose of the H1N1 vaccination) and determining Gavin had yet another ear infection, she decided it was time to see an ENT (Ear Nose Throat Specialist.) I called while leaving the doctor's office (while it was fresh on my mind) to make an appoinment with the ENT. Little did I know they were going to get me in that very day! So, I took the latest appointment available(I needed the kids to have a nap, or they would have been super cranky!) at 3:30. Thankfully, Aunt Sheila volunteered to watch Kami and Luke, so Gavin and I made the trip into Baton Rouge by ourself. The doctor was really nice (and his nurse even better!) and explained to me that since Gavin's been having so many ear infections, the best route would to be tubes. I agreed. He then asked me some questions about his sleep pattern and things that would determine if he needed his adenoids out (does he snore, cough, mouth breath, etc.) and Gavin does all of those things. But, after further examination, it was determined that he he has a Bifid Uvula (or "forked uvula" as the doctor called it) and isnt' a candidate for an adenoidectomy, because it could cause him to have a nasaly voice and fluids to come out of his nose while drinking. Otherwise a bifid uvula shouldn't cause any problems. He also noted that Gavin has large tonsils and we would look into removing them in the future. After the meeting (an exam) with the doctor, we went with the nurse, who scheduled Gavin for surgery on Friday (tomorrow). We have to be there at 7 am and he can't eat after 9 pm tonight or drink anything after midnight. Your prayers are coveted!

PS I haven't forgotten about Kami and Luke's 15 month well check! If I could ever remember to get the paper out of the car with all of their stats on it, I could blog about it!


Shannon said...

Oh my...good luck in the morning:) I really hope the tubes bring him some relief.

Hilary said...

Glad he did good :)