Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Away

Well, tomorrow I will meet my mom half way to let her get Kami and Luke so I can take Gavin for his IVIG infusion on Friday. Yes, he's still getting those. No word yet on when they will stop them, but I'm hoping around March or April after cold and flu season. They will stop them for about 3 months and then re-check his antibody levels to see if he can make an appropriate amount of antibodies to fight off infections with out the help of artificial antibodies. I'm pretty sure they won't risk him going unprotected during cold/flu season. If he doesn't show any improvement, then it will be right back to infusions.


This is Gavin at his last IVIG infusion. He usually does pretty well before and after the stick, but he knows when the IV poke is coming and he is one strong little fighter! It takes myself and 3 nurses to get the IV in him.

For those of you who don't follow me on Facebook, Luke broke his leg on Thanksgiving Day. Well, I say he broke his leg, but were not sure if it was broken or not. He was casted and couldn't walk for a month, so it might as well have been broken! It was x-rayed four different times, but we weren't sure what part of his leg/foot was bothering him and they didn't consistently x-ray his entire leg. The *think* it was a toddler fracture, but we still don't know. I found out during this whole ordeal that he has MAJOR stanger anxiety, especially when his brother and sister aren't around. I've always thought he was just a little shy and didn't warm up to people as quickly as they do, but man, he FREAKS OUT around people he doesn't know. When Gavin and Kami are there, he doesn't freak out, but he doesn't necessarily show a warm welcome either. But, I think seeing them interact with the "strangers" (usually doctors and nurses) makes it easier for him. I have no idea how to fix this problem, so I'm open for suggestions!

Here's Luke in his cast on the way home from the orthopedist.

Kami is very tender-hearted, y'all! She doesn't want anyone messing with her brothers. She was with us when Luke got his leg casted and she totally FREAKED OUT. I think she thought they were cutting his leg off! And afterwards, she would break down whenever she looked at his cast. She cried herself to sleep in the car on the way home and when she woke up and saw the cast, she started crying all over again.

Here she is totally upset that Gavin was having to get a breathing treatment in the doctor's office. She was more distraught than he was!

*Please note that these pictures were taken with my cell phone and lack in quality!

1 comment:

Baylee's Mommy said...

That is the saddest, yet sweetest post! Gavin and Kami are two peas in a pod.